Training doesn’t make us fitter or stronger. Recovery does. Recovery is where your body/muscles adapt to your training load and muscles repair stronger.
Recovery can either be passive or active.
Passive = do nothing
Active = doing your usual sport or yoga at a moderate intensity
Training places huge amount of stress on your body and hard sessions produce the hormone cortisol. Whilst it is an anti inflammatory,
if it hangs around in the blood too long it can interfere with muscle regeneration.
Yoga can assist with active recovery to enable your body to:
Clear the metabolic waste resulting from exercise.
Provide higher level of blood flow to muscles in need of nutrients, allowing them to repair themselves.
As well as:
After a training session it is important to take your muscles through full range of movement
Prevents injury, aids rehabilitation, builds flexibility and increases strength to enable you to perform at your best
Increases wellbeing, mental toughness, aids sleep and therefore recovery.
Other benefits of yoga for athletes:
Improves quality of sleep which in turn aids muscle recover and repair
Increases strength, conditioning and endurance through body weight exercises and flowing from one pose to another:
Stronger Core: Obliques and abdominals are refined and toned
Arm and shoulder strength
Lats, traps and other back muscles begin to support the spine better than before
Hip flexors are stretched and strengthened
Stronger glutes, quads, hamstrings and calves
Bike position becomes more aerodynamic through increased flexibility, stronger core and better spin alignment
Better mobility especially around arms and shoulders for swimmers
Reduces risk of injury and aids recovery
Improved flexibility which allows greater range of muscle motion resulting in increased speed and power
Mental endurance & physical stamina are tested through holding postures for extended breaths
Posture begins to correct itself over time
Relief of neck pain caused by time trialing and ridign in the aero position
1. Improves flexibility
2. Builds & tones muscle strength
3. Perfects posture & protects against injury
4. Improves athletic performance
5. Prevents cartilage and joint breakdown
6. Helps prevent degenerative arthritis
7. Protects the spine by keeping the spinal disks supple.
8. Strengthens bones & helps ward off osteoporosis
9. Increases blood flow & lowers blood pressure
10. Drains your lymphs, releases toxins & boosts immunity
11. Increases Cardio and circulatory health
12. Maintains a balanced metabolism
13. Prevents IBS and other digestive problems
14. Regulates the adrenal glands
15. Lowers blood sugar
16. Improves balance
17. Maintains the nervous system
18. Releases tension
19. Improves quality of sleep
20. Boosts your immune system functionality
21. Improves respiration, energy and vitality
22. Helps reduce weight
MENTAL & EMOTIONAL BENEFITS
1. Improves concentration
2. Lifts depression
3. Gives you peace of mind
4. Increases your self-esteem
5. Balances hormones
6. Gives you inner strength
7. Builds awareness for transformation